History of the department : The history of foreign language teaching in Calcutta University is almost as old as a century. In 1917 studies in foreign languages started with the teaching of Tibetan, Chinese, German and Dutch. These were followed by French and Japanese (1918-19), Portuguese (1924-25), Italian (1929-30) and Polish (1939-40). When the second world war broke out, some of these languages were withdrawn because the foreign teachers who were teaching these languages left India.
At present 9 foreign languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Korean, Persian, Russian, Spanish and Tibetan) and 5 Indian languages (Bengali, Hindi, Pali, Tamil and Urdu) are taught at this department.
Research Scholars Enrolled for Ph.D (Russian) :
- Abhijit Chowdhury
- Bichatra Basu Majumder
- Atmoja Bose
Collaborations with other Institutions
- Academic exchange with Chonbuk National University of South Korea.
- Assistance programme with Embassy of Spain.
- Book Publication Programme with Akdemia Razvitiya, Russia.
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the academic Department / Center :
Thrust areas of research undertaken by the teachers
- Indology in Russia.
- Francophone literature (Canadian, Mexican, Algerian).
- Linguistic approach to study of Literature.
- Comparative literature.
- Teaching of Russian phonetics in Indian auditorium.
Major activities :
Seminar & Conference held at the department
- International seminar on Gerasim Lebedev and his legacy A chronicle of Indo-Russian relation.
- Regional seminar on Indian Philosophy, its legacy as seen through Tolstoy literature.
Campus : College Street
Address for communication :
Asutosh Building, 2nd floor, 87/1, College Street, Kolkata-700 073