Year of Establishment : 2003
History of the department : The Genetics and Plant Breeding Department was established in the year 2003, although this subject was taught as a special paper from the inception of the Department of Agriculture (Formerly College of Agriculture) since 1954. Many eminent teachers as well as research scientists served the Department with high dignity and modesty. Many outstanding alumni of the Department have served with great reputation in different Universities / Institutes at National and International level and have glorified the fame of the Department . The quality of teaching and research undergoing in the Department is of very good standard and this has been highly appreciated at the National level . Indian Council of Agricultural Research ( ICAR ) has selected the Department as a main R&D centre for sesame development in Eastern India . International Rice Research Institute , Philippines collaborates with the Department for promotion of hybrid rice in eastern region . The Department is actively associated with University of Aberdeen , Scotland , U.K in conducting advanced research in the area of molecular breeding.
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the academic department :
- Fundamental principles of Plant Breeding and Genetics
- Biometrical genetics
- Molecular genetics, cell biology & Biotechnology
- Breeding for biotic & abiotic stresses
- Plant genetic resources & conservation
- Breeding and MAS for Phyllody and root rot tolerance in sesame
- Breeding and MAS for BLB and drought tolerance and low arsenic uptake in rice
- MAS , linkage map construction, QTL mapping and population diversity in rice and sesame.
- Genomic sequencing through Next Generation Sequencing and cDNA library construction in sesame.
- Breeding for abiotic stress tolerance in pulses and cereals .
- Breeding for improved quality in pulses and cereals.
Teaching support :
- Visit to the Farmers field by the students to sort out the problems in cultivation and conveying appropriate measures to the farmers in consultation with the experts in the area.
Major activities :
- Frontline demonstration of improved crop varieties at the Farmers field.
- Farmers training meeting for improved cultivation practices.
Campus : Ballygange Science College campus
Address for communication : Institute of Agricultural Science , Calcutta University ,51/2 Hazra Road, Kolkata 700019