Year of Establishment : The M.Sc. Course in Genetics had started w.e.f academic session 2002-2003; Departmental status was obtained in 2008
History of the department : The M.Sc. Course in Genetics had started w.e.f academic session 2002-2003 at the Centre of Advanced Study for Cell and Chromosome Research, Department of Botany, Calcutta University which acted as a NODAL CENTRE for Post Graduate teaching in Genetics under the University of Calcutta. The Centre, internationally known for establishment of a new concept of speciation in plants, development of new techniques for the study of chemical and physical nature of chromosomes and dynamic role of chromosomes in differentiation, reproduction and evolution, has been receiving assistance from UGC under Special assistance programme since 1972 and under CAS since 1980. The M.Sc. Course in Genetics was elevated to the level of Department by the University of Calcutta in 2008. Prof. AK Sharma, FNA, Founder Co-ordinator, CAS, Botany, CU and Prof. Asis Dutta, FNA, NIPGR, New Delhi, served as the principal guiding forces for the initiation of the M.Sc. courses in Genetics under University of Calcutta. The M.Sc. Program was well received by academic houses all over India and after running successfully for 6 years, was upgraded in the form of Department of Genetics w.e.f 12th August, 2008.
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the academic department/centre:
Thrust areas in teaching: Plant, Animal (non human), Microbial and Human Genetics and Genomics, Cell and Molecular Biology, Developmental Genetics, Quantitative and Statistical Genetics, Bioinfomatics, Recombinant DNA Technology
Thrust areas in Research: Human Genetics, Disease Genetics, Neurogenetics
- In-house (departmental) project on survey of happiness among rural and urban population of West Bengal, India conducted by students (especially M.Sc II year), scholars and faculties of the Department.
- Annual symposium on different facets of Biological Research where eminent scientists across India as well as Departmental ex-students, now engaged in active research, are invited for deliberation
- Visits by students, scholars and faculties to wildlife reserves like Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary and Simlipal Tiger Reserve, Odisha for outside curriculum exposure to field and nature study; visit by students and faculties to Plant Biology Field Station of Bose Institute in Falta, 24 Parganas (South), West Bengal
- Departmental sports and in house competitions for football and badminton
- The MSc students contribute to and maintain a wall magazine that deals with topical issues pertaining to Genetics and also provides a platform for creative interactions. The Departmental faculties and research scholars participate in outreach programs involving students from schools and colleges of Kolkata like South Point High School and Gurudas College.
- To ensure that programme objectives are constantly met and learning outcomes are monitored, the Departmental faculty periodically meet during semesters and after publication of examination results to discuss student performance as it relates to teachinglearning objectives. The faculty also pro-actively solicit assistance and expert advice from members of the Post-Graduate Board of Studies in Genetics, C.U. Student-teacher meetings are held periodically throughout the semesters to address their concerns regarding teaching learning and scope for improved learning outcomes.
- The Department provides opportunity for internship by students from different universities/institutes across India all through the year
- The Departmental Library records and documents all question papers, review and project work submitted by the students, and the previous years syllabus, which are provisionally accessible to the students.
- Jagannath Mondal cash prize is awarded to the first rank holder of the M.Sc Genetics course every year.
- Atul Chandra Bose Memorial cash prize is awarded on need cum merit basis for research in Genetics under CU
Campus : Ballygunge campus
Address for communication : Department of Genetics, 7th Floor, Tarknath Palit Siksha Prangan , UCSTA, 35, Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata-700019