Year of Establishment : 2000
History of the department : The two year post graduate course in the Environmental Science Department commenced in the year 2000 with a current intake capacity of 16 students. The students are from various undergraduate honours discipline of Environmental Science, Life Science, Physical Science and Earth Science. Besides theoretical and practical classes, students undertake a three months full time Institutional / Industrial training in leading organizations and Universities. Presently the Department has three permanent faculty members and few other sanctioned posts.
Faculties of repute from various science department– Biochemistry, Microbiology, Biotechnology, Geology, Home Science, Geography, Atmospheric Science, Marine Science, Zoology, Botany, Genetics, Neuroscience etc. and Technology Departments along with other guest faculties from Management and Technology Institution/ Industries are taking classes regularly. The department has research collaboration with several National and International Research Institutions. Moreover faculties are running several Government Projects very successfully and also provide service in the form of consultancy. The faculties have also performed advisory roles as well as are actively engaged in several community outreach program. Meanwhile faculties have given several invited lectures at the National and International level. The Department has also organized several workshops and seminars in collaboration with other esteemed Institutions.
The Department is also running Ph.D. programme in Environmental Science and students from the Department and other collaborative research institutions are successfully continuing their doctoral research. The excellence of the Department has been established with the publication of several high impact research articles in international journals. Highly motivated, disciplined and high quality students of the Department excelled in examinations like GATE, NET, GRE etc. Alumni of the Department contribute significantly to research and teaching in several highly acclaimed national and international institutions.
The laboratory and library facility of the Department is worth mentioning. The bondage of the teaching and non-teaching staff of the Department and also the students have made it possible to crystallize a department as a successful one and this endeavor will ensure its significant contribution in the field of future Environmental Science research.
Special award/ recognition from UGC or related statutory body:
- DST-PURSE supported Department
- Instrumentation support under UGC-UPE scheme
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the Department :
- Climate change
- Ecology and biodiversity
- Green chemistry
- Mangrove ecology and geochemistry
- Occupational health
- Waste and pollution management
Teaching support :
- Instrumentation practical through virtual laboratories
- Academic assignments through e-learning
- Participatory assessment and evaluation
- On-site hands on training
- Community outreach programme on environmental awareness
- Android based geospatial study
Major activities :
- Field visit to places of environmental interest
- Industry visit and training for study related to pollution remediation and management
- Collaborative research programmes with Universities and Institutes at national and international level
- Community outreach programme for environmental awareness
- Participation in Government / Institutions, Environmental initiatives
- Regular student participation in national and international workshops and seminars
- Post-graduation dissertation project work at several National level Institutions
- Organization of seminars with eminent speakers of national and international repute.
- Strengthening alumni networking and departmental placement support
- Socio-cultural activities-observing Environment Day, Earth Day and cultural events at departmental and University level.
Additional information :
- Need based provision for internship
- Consultancy services are available
- Extension programme as part of community outreach program are executed
- Department has joined choice-based credit system from 2016
- Previous years’ question papers are available from Departmental library
- New syllabus will be uploaded soon, after the sanction from the competent authority
Campus : Taraknath Palit Shiksha Prangan (Ballygunge Science College campus)
Address for communication : 7th Floor; 35, Ballygunge Circular Road, Kolkata 700019