Year of Establishment : December 15, 1984
History of the department : The Department of Electronic Science in Calcutta University was established on December 15, 1984. University Grant Commission and Department of Electronics, Govt. of India jointly decided to introduce a two-year M. Sc. course in Electronic Science with a view to bridge the gap between science and technology in the area of Electronics to develop Human Resources to cater the needs of both Research and Development (R & D) and Industry sectors. It is a DST-FIST and DST-PURSE Sponsored Department.
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the academic department:
- Semiconductor materials growth, devices, physics, design and characterization.
- Transport in semiconductor materials, low dimensional devices and nanostructures.
- Semiconductor Nano-Science and Nano-Technology
- Nano-scale CMOS Devices, MOS Insulator, Strained-Si and CMOS Devices.
- Optoelectronics, fiber-optics and photonics.
- National conference on Optoelectronic materials and devices, 1989
- International conference on Electronic and Photonic Materials, Devices and Systems (EPMDS-06), 2006
Campus : Rashbehari Shiksha Prangan
Address for communication : Meghnad Saha Bhavan, 92 Acharyya Prafulla Chandra Road, Kolkata 700009