Year of Establishment : 1980
History of the department : Established in the year 1980, the Department of Computer Science and Engineering, situated at Rajabazar Science College Campus, meant for post graduate studies is one of the largest and well established departments of Calcutta University. Very soon after its establishment, the department began to provide the intellectual foundations of Indian Technologies. Since then, over time, the department has played a vital role in the development technological resources by establishing the ability of Indian researchers to carry out advanced scientific and technological research in various fields. Their contribution is immense. The Department of Computer Science and Engineering has played a very significant role in science and technology education and research in our country. It has vivid reputation in the fields of different Computer applications, Information Sciences and Technology Studies. The prizes and valuable contribution of its students and faculties in all sphere of life have always enhanced the brilliance of the department.
Special award/ recognition from UGC or related statutory body:
- The Department enjoyed two phases of the DRS and one of DSA under the UGC-SAP scheme; currently the 2nd phase of DSA is on.
- The FIST programme of DST was implemented during 2005-2010.
- The Department received support from the COSIST programme of UGC during 1991-1996.
International Academic Collaborations
- Collaboration on Image Processing and Biometrics with Prof. Khalid Saeed, AGH University of Science & Technology, Cracow, Poland
- Collaboration on Software Engineering and Abstract Interpretation with Prof. Agostino Cortesi, Ca Foscari University, Venice, Italy
- Collaboration on Service Sciences with Prof. Aditya Ghosh, Wollongong University, Australia
- Collaboration on Software Engineering with Prof. Valdis Berzins, U. S. Naval Post-Graduate School, Monterey, USA
National Academic Collaborations
- Collaboration on Remote Healthcare technology with Jadavpur University, IISET (former BESU) and 4 more Universities/Institutes
- Collaboration on Cloud Security with Sugata Sanyal of TIFR, Mumbai, India
- Collaboration on Software Engineering and Distributed Systems with Samiran Chattopadhyay, Jadavpur University.
- Collaboration on VLSI Physical level design with Indian Statistical Institute
Collaborations with Industry
- Collaboration with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) for Remote Healthcare project
- MoU with Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) for funding of Ph.D. scholars
- MoU with Business Brio on Data Analytics and Big Data research
- Collaboration with NASSCOM for ISO standard building activities for Software Engineering (ISO JTC1/SC7) and Cloud Computing (ISO JTC1/SC38) in association with BIS, Government of India
- Collaboration with IXIA Technologies regarding Internship of PG students.
Thrust area in teaching and research of the academic department:
- Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI)
- Distributed Computing
- Information Security
- Mobile & Ad-hoc Networks
Major activities :
- ACSS 2016 The 3rd International Doctoral Symposium on Applied Computation and Security Systems (ACSS) held during August 12-14, 2016 in Kolkata, [http://acss.cucse.org/]
- CISIM 2011 The 10th International Conference on Computer Information Systems and Industrial Management Applications. (December 14-16, 2011) [http://www.cisim.cucse.org/]
- ICDCN 2010- 11th International Conference on Distributed Computing & Networking, held on January 03-06, 2010. Organized by the University of Calcutta, Department of Computer Science & Engineering in collaboration with the Techno India Group, Saltlake. [http://www.cucse.org/ICDCN2010.htm]
In each year, the students of the Department are organizing coding contest- CODE-COMBAT- RefleXons 2K16
Campus : Technology Campus (Acharya Prafulla Chandra Siksha Prangan)
Address for communication : JD-2, Sector III, Saltlake City, Kolkata-700106