Year of Establishment : 1982
History of the department : The inception of the Department of Applied Chemistry was in 1920. University of Calcutta is the first among the Indian universities to pioneer studies in Applied Sciences at the post graduate level. In January 1982, Department of Applied Chemistry was trifurcated into three departments; Department of Chemical Technology is one of them. The university introduced B. Tech (8 semesters) 4 years course along with lateral entry for post B.Sc (Chemistry Hons.) 3-years (6 semesters) B. Tech. and 2-years (4 semester) M. Tech. degree courses in the Department of Chemical Technology since 2008. In 2015, Department started 4-years (8 semesters) B. Tech. course for the students passed 10+2 level and qualified JEE.
Special award/ recognition from UGC or related statutory body: Received Departmental Special Assistance Program (SAP-I) for 2018-2023
- WB-DST Project, Production of potential Exopolysaccharides from microbes and exploration of their commercial applications, Financial Assistance (2016) as Principal Investigator for three years of Rs. 12.8 Lakhs.
- UPE Project Phase II, Studies on Characterization and Application of Bacterial Extracellular polymeric substances from waste, Financial Assistance (2017) as Principal Investigator for three years of Rs. 15 Lakhs.
- University Potential of Excellence (UPE) II Scheme Research Project, Chemometric modeling on drug design and development of selective LRRK2 inhibitors for therapeutic application of Parkinsons disease, Financial Assistance (2017) as Principal Investigator for five years of Rs. 15 Lakhs.
- UGC DRS1 Program, Small Molecular Drug Discovery and Delivery Design Against Infectious Diseases, Financial Assistance (2017) as Coordinator for five years of Rs. 1.41 Cr.
- ICAR, Govt. of India Project, Upgradation of Oil lab to Food testing lab, Financial Assistance (2017) for five years of Rs. 157.80 Lakhs.
- Department of Science & Technology and Biotechnology, Government of West Bengal Project, Debezenation of model pyrolysis gasoline using pervaporation technique Financial Assistance (2019) for three years of Rs. 11.30 Lakhs.
Academic collaborations is one regular activity and the department extend support to NITTR, NIPER, Bose Institute, Indian Statistical Institute, Academic Staff colleges of different universities, BIT (Mesra), West Bengal Pollution Control Board, Jadavpur University, University of North Carolina, St. Xaviers College, GCCET, Central Glass & Ceramic Research Institute etc.
FSSAI (Govt. of India), Coats of India, Mother Dairy, Edible Products Ltd. Quaker Chemicals Ltd. Proficient Food Products, Food Safety & Standard Authorities of India (Govt. of India), Indian Customs, Suman Proteins Ltd., Aloka Oils Ltd, Vinaka Fats & Oils, Budge Budge Refinery Ltd. Albert David limited, Sigcap Pharmaceuticals and several more
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the academic department :
- Vegetable oils
- Lipid Nutrition of unsaturated fatty acids and modified fats
- Enzyme Biotechnology
- Cheminformatics Drug Design
- Herbal Drug Technology
- Ceramic Membranes
- Sol gel Processing
- Petroleum Refining
- Membrane Technology
- Catalytic Reaction in Petroleum under high pressure (like Hydrocracking)
- Characterization and applications of sol-gel materials
- CO2 capture
Teaching support :
- Virtual laboratories
- Industry visit for 2nd and 3rd year students
- Organizing remedial classes for final year students
- Job opportunities through placement cell, Dr. Sumit Kar, Placement Officer (Extn. No. 579) (e.mail: email@example.com)
The Placement Cell along with the faculty members organize value-addition programmes like soft-skill development and provide placement opportunities to students. It also acts as the major interface between the industrial sector and helps in developing the industry-academia inter-relationship.
Additional information :
In Plant Training/Institutional Training
Students have to undergo an In plant Training program for a specified period (46 weeks) related to ones course/subject in an industry, like Cipla Pharmaceuticals, Mendine Pharmaceuticals, Stadmed, East India Pharmaceuticals, Deys Medical, Zuventus, Strassenburg Pharmaceutics, Emami Pharmaceuticals, Freshnius Kavi Pharmaceuticals, Torrent Phrmaceuticals, Aventis Pharma, Indian Oil Corporation limited, Haldia Petrochemicals, Reliance Petrochemicals, Essar Oil Limited, British Oxygen, Asianol Lubricants, INOX Gases, Houghton International, Axzo Nobel, Nalco Chemicals, Berger Paints India Limited, Emami Agrotech Ltd., Adani Wilmer Ltd., Ruchi Soya Industries ltd., Gokul Refoils & Solvents Ltd., Budge Budge Refineries Ltd., Balmer Laurie Ltd., British Paints, Alfa Laval India, Britannia, Shalimar Paints India, Gemini Edible & Fats, Acalmar, H.R. Johnson India Ltd, TRL Krosaki Refractories Limited, OCL India Private Limited, Aditya Birla Insulator, EPCOS India Private Limited, Vesuvius India Ltd., Hindustan National Glass Ltd., IFGL, Somany Tiles, Nataraj Ceramics, Calderys India Limited, Saint Gobain, Carborundam Universal.
Campus : Rashbehari Sikha Prangan
Address for communication :
The Head Department of Chemical Technology
University of Calcutta
92, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road, Kolkata - 700 009
Phone: +91-33-2350 1014 / 1397 / 1857 / 6387 / 6396 / 8386, ext. 260/261
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com