Year of Establishment : 1967
History of the department : The Department of Applied Psychology was established in the year 1967 by Prof. S.N. Roy. At present the Department has faculty strength of 9 teachers (17 sanctioned posts). The department runs the P.G. level 2 years M.A, M.Sc. Course (covering four Specialization namely: CLINICAL & FORENSIC PSYCHOLOGY, ORGANIZATIONAL & ENVIRONMENTAL PSYCHOLOGY, STRESS MANAGEMENT &COMMUNITY PSYCHOLOGY, ORGANIZATIONAL DEVELOPMENT & HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT). The department also runs Post P.G. Diploma in School Counselling Course. The total number of books in the library is almost 5,127. The major research thrust of the Department is on Applied Clinical and Forensic Psychology, Organizational and Environmental Issues, Stress Management, Educational Psychology, Test Construction and Human Resource Development.
The Department of Applied Psychology has a Service Programme Unit (SPU) with one Clinical and Forensic Psychology Cell and another Organizational Behavior and Human Resource Development, and Stress Management Cell. The Unit provides Valuable service to the community at a minimum cost. Patients from all over West Bengal are referred to the Unit for Psychological Assessment and Counselling Service. An Adolescents Health Clinic has also been established in this Department on April2013 and it is funded by Social welfare Department, Govt. of West Bengal.
Special award/ recognition from UGC or related statutory body : Rehabilitation Council of India has certified Department of Applied Psychology, University of Calcutta. Excellence in Achievement, as the Department has played a notable role in preparing standard tests for diagnosis of disorder, contribution of the Department in pursuing research activities on quasi-experimental basis has also been given due recognition. The Department has focused its attention on quality, excellence in promoting mass transfer of knowledge and field tested skills benefiting Kolkata Community in participative Rehabilitation strategies has been acknowledged. The contribution in comprehensive training in Rehabilitation Psychology for physical, mental and social handicapped children has been noted as praise worthy. In addition, the Department has gained DST-Fist Grant for development of Infrastructure and DRS-SAP grant for Research along with several state and central funded research grants. The department has been recognized as Resource Centre for Adolescent Health and Training for the Counsellors.
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the academic Department / Center :
- Psychotherapy and Psychiatric Disorders: Mental Health Research, Crime violence and public health issues, Aggression Research, Problem Behavior etc.
- Community health seeking behavior and Stress Management.
- Forensic Psychology.
- Rehabilitation Psychology.
- Industry related problems and Human Resource Management
- Organizational Behavior.
- Educational Psychology related to Curriculum and Teaching - Learning Process
- Counselling in various fields with special emphasis on School Counselling
- Environmental Psychology and related Fields.
- Cognitive Psychology.
- Research Methodology including both quantitative and qualitative research.
- Test Construction, etc.
Major Activities :
a. Organizing National & International Conferences : Selected list in last one year
- The Centenary Conference on Psychology , October 9 - 11, 2015 at Kolkata In Collaboration with Departments of Psychology University of Calcutta, NAoP, IAAP, IACP & DIPR
b. Organizing Work Shops:
- 4 day Workshop on RIBT and TAT approved by Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI)
- 2 day Workshop on Learning Disability
- 1 day Workshop on Moral Psychology
- 2 day workshop on Intervention Techniques in Developmental Disability.
c. Developing and designing modules for Training for various groups
d. Conducting series of Training Programmes:
- Organization of series of Introduction Training of Counselors of Anwesha Clinic in collaboration with State Family Welfare Bureau, Govt of W.B.
e. Testing and Counselling through SPU Cells-
Additional information : The Students of the Department of Applied Psychology are doing Internship at different Govt. Hospitals and Medical Colleges and Industries and Service Organizations all over West Bengal.
The M.Phil in Clinical Psychology Course of Calcutta University is at present attached to the Dept of Applied Psychology, University of Calcutta.
Campus : Rashbehari Siksha Prangan (Rajabazar Science College)
Address for communication : 92, A.P.C Road, Kolkata-700 009. Ph: 033-2350-1397/8386(Ext- 390); Fax: 033-2351-9755