Year of Establishment : 1969
History of the department :
Recent achievements :
Dr Nilanjan Deb is an inventor and he has already published/filed more than 22 ( twenty two) international and national patents. Dr Nilanjan Deb has invented the first ever nanofertilizer in the world. This nanofertilizer has already been patented in USA (US20130219979A1),China (CN104114028A),Australia (AU2012369910A1), India (IPO 0154/KOL/2012),WIPO( WO2013121244A1) etc. Calcutta University is the applicant of these above international patents. Besides this invention of nanofertilizer, Dr. Deb has inventions in the field of agriculture, biochemistry, electronics, electrochemistry, electronics sensors, bio polymers and many other scientific fields. I have been awarded a prestigious International (European Union) fellowship Erasmus Mundas mobility for life at the Department of Electronic systems of Aalborg University, Denmark to work on bioelectronics . Dr Deb has received distinguished inventor award from Edward Jung ( Co founder of IVIN, USA ) in the Food and Health Summit in Beijing, China in the field of agriculture . A list of international and national patents and links of Dr Nilanjan Deb is available in his profile. Calcutta University has earned more than USD 140000 (One lakh forty thousand US dollars) from his inventions sold to Intellectual ventures. USA. After commercialization of the patents, Calcutta University will further earn royalty for his patented products once launched in the market.
- Department of Agronomy has envisage double cropping and triple cropping in southern parts of West Bengal
- It has developed production technology of salt tolerant crops under costal saline tracts of West Bengal
- Department involved in popularizing sunflower cultivation in southern parts of West Bengal Department of Agronomy has entailed eminent personalities like Dr. Sisir K.Mukhopadhyay, Emeritus Professor of Agriculture, Visva Bharati; Dr. B. N. Chatterjee, Ex- Professor of Agronomy, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya and Dr. B. N. Mitra, Ex- Professor of Agronomy, IIT, Kharagpur
- Since inception the department of Agronomy till date has produced in all about 30 Ph.D. in Agronomy.
- Till date the department of Agronomy has published 200 original research papers in National and International Journals of repute.
- One Faculty Prof. R.K. Sarkar in the department of Agronomy was recipient of endowment post of Khaira Professor (Sir Guru prasad Singh) of Agriculture in 2004.
- Subsequently the same Professor R.K. Sarkar was the first person in the Institute of Agricultural Science, University of Calcutta who received the UGC Emeritus Fellowship in 2011.
Special award/ recognition from UGC or related statutory body: Dr. R.K. Sarkar Ex- Khaira Professor of Agriculture in 2004 was the first person in the Institute of Agricultural Science, University of Calcutta who received the UGC Emeritus Fellowship in 2011.
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the academic department :
Major thrust areas of the Department :
- Effective Cropping System Management for Saline Coastal Belt of Southern part of West Bengal.
- Development of Low Cost Farmers Friendly Technology for Sustainable Agriculture.
- Evaluation of nano-fabricated nutrient delivery in plants and molecular impact assessment.
- Emphasis on proper development of organic farming.
- Development of location specific weed management practices for different crops.
- Research findings of the dept. would be demonstrated in the nearby farmers field.
Teaching support : For effective learning, faculty members of Agronomy imparts teaching by participatory style of teaching, learning by doing, seeing by believing.
Major activities : Students after passing M.Sc Agronomy, they are placed in different Multinational companies related to Agriculture
Campus : Ballygange Science College campus
Address for communication : Department of Agronomy, Institute of Agricultural Science, University of Calcutta, 51/2, Hazra Road, Kolkata 700019