Year of Establishment : 1969
History of the department :
- Birthplace of Soil Science in India including the Society of Soil Science (present Hqrs: New Delhi).
- Bears the legacy of Internationally famous Calcutta School of Soil Science
- ARS (Agricultural Research Service, ICAR) success rate is only next to IARI, New Delhi.
- iv) Ex-students hold important positions all over India.
- v) Recently, success at GRE (USA) is remarkable.
- vi) Winners of several most coveted national awards.
- vii)Only FNA in the state under section X (Agriculture, Veterinary, Environment, Fishery & Forestry).
- viii)Majority of pedologists in India are departmental alumni.
- ix)Upcoming hubs of soil microbiology, agricultural chemicals and soil survey / genesis / classification.
Eminent personalities :
S. K. Mukherjee, formerly Vice Chancellor of Kalyani and Calcutta Universities was faculty of this department as a Sir P.C. Ray Professor of Agricultural Chemistry and Soil Science. He was member, National Commission on Agriculture, Director, Bose Institute, Calcutta, and an UNESCO Consultant for teaching Chemistry at Indonesia. He also served briefly at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi. His special fields of interest was colloid chemistry, ion exchange phenomena and soil humus. Last but not the least; he was also an honorary editor of Everymans Science published by the Indian Science Congress Association, at the later stage of life. Dr. Kunal Ghosh, Ex Professor of Agricultural Chemistry and Soil Science and Dr. Ashim Chowdhury Ex Sir P.C. Ray Professor of Agricultural Chemistry and Soil Science were Expert of ASRB, ICAR, GoI , CSIR, GoI; TIFAC, DST, GoI; Member, Sectional Committee, INSA, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya;
Special award/ recognition from UGC or related statutory body :
Dr. Kunal Ghosh, Ex Professor of Agricultural Chemistry and Soil Science was only FNA in the state under section X (Agriculture, Veterinary, Environment, Fishery & Forestry).
Thrust areas in teaching and research of the academic department :
- Clay mineralogy and Clay-humus interaction.
- Soil environmental chemistry and Forest soils.
- Chemistry, analysis and degradation of Agrochemicals from any biological substrate.
- Soil quality and analysis of pesticides residue and its impact on soil biological parameters.
- Soil fertility, Fertilizers and Pedology.
- Biodiversity of soils under stress.
- Development of salt tolerant biofertilizers and effective microorganism for jute rating
Major activities :
Number of Students from this Department enjoying MS, Ph.D. & Post Doc. Foreign assignment.
- Sudipta Rakshit MS, PhD USA.2003
- Atanu Mukhapadhaya MS, PhD USA.2004
- Jaya Das MS, PhD USA.2005
- Monalisa Bera MS, PhD USA.2006
- Priyanka Roy MS, USA.2006
- Bidisa Majumder post Doc. Germany 2006
- Tanusree Dutta MS, PhD USA.2006
- Dr. Pradip Bhattacharyya PhD, Post Doc in South Korea, Now in USA.2006-2007
- Debolina Chakraborti MS, PhD USA.2007
- Taniya Raychowdhury MS, PhD USA.2007
- Dr. Raktim Pal PhD, Post Doc in South Korea, Now in Australia.2007-2008
- Dr. Piw Das PhD, Post Doc in South korea, Now in Australia.2007-2008
- Amrita Bhattacharyya MS, PhD USA.2008
- Santanu Bakshi MS, PhD USA.2008
Campus : Ballygange Science College campus
Address for communication : Institute of Agricultural Science , Calcutta University ,51/2 Hazra Road, Kolkata 700019