- Inflammatory Cell Signaling. Identification of natural products that exhibit anti-inflammatory effects on TNF alpha and UVB induced inflammation in human skin and determining their mechanism of action by studying their effects on different signaling pathways involved in mediating inflammatory responses.
- Understanding allergic inflammation mediated by mast cells (key effector cells in allergic diseases such as allergic rhinitis and asthma) via activation of their high affinity IgE-Fc epsilon Receptor I. Identifying novel pathogenic signaling pathways in mast cells and understanding their role in allergic diseases.
- Screening and development of anti-inflammatory drugs as anti-oxidative and anti- apoptotic agents against hydrogen peroxide induced cytotoxicity and oxidative injury in hepatocytes.
- Development of synthetic organoselenium and organosulphur compounds as chemopreventive agents for the treatment of cancer. This work is in collaboration with Dr. Krishna Pada Bhabak, Department of Chemistry, IIT Guwahati.
- Identification of novel anti-cancer drugs and determining their molecular targets. Collaborator Dr. Suvroma Gupta, Haldia Institute of Technology.
- Understanding bacterial gene regulation. Collaborator: Dr. Jayanta Mukhopadhyay, Bose Institute and Dr. Dipak Dutta, IMTECH, Chandigarh.
Select list of publications:
- S-Allyl Cysteine Inhibits TNF- Induced Inflammation in HaCaT Keratinocytes by Inhibition of NF-B-Dependent Gene Expression via Sustained ERK Activation. Basu C, Chatterjee A, Bhattacharya S, Dutta N and Sur R. Manuscript in Press (Experimental Dermatology).
- Biopolymer nanoparticle surface chemistry dictates the nature and extent of protein hard corona. Basu A., Kundu S., Basu C., Ghosh SK., Sur R and A Mukherjee. Journal of Molecular Liquids. 2019 15 May; 282: 169-176. ISSN: 0167-7322. Impact Factor: 4.51
- S-allyl cysteine alleviates hydrogen peroxide induced oxidative injury and apoptosis through upregulation of Akt/Nrf2/HO-1 signaling pathway in HepG2 cells. Basu C and Sur R. Biomed Res Int. 2018 Nov 1; 3169431. doi: 10.1155/2018/3169431. ISSN: 2314-6133. Impact Factor: 2.58
- Kaur, G., Kumar, V., Arora, A., Tomar, A., Ashish, Sur, R. and Dutta, D. Affected energy metabolism under manganese stress governs cellular toxicity. Scientific Reports 7: 11645. Impact Factor: 4.847
- Bhattacherjee, D., Basu, C., Bhardwaj,Q., Mal, S., Sahu, S., Sur, R. and Bhabak, K.P. Design, Synthesis and Anti-Cancer Activities of Benzyl Analogues of Garlic-Derived Diallyl Disulfide (DADS) and the Corresponding Diselenides. Chemistry Select 2: 73997406. Impact Factor: 1.7
- Prajapati RK, Sur R, Mukhopadhyay J. A Novel Function of Factor from Bacillus subtilis as a Transcriptional Repressor. J Biol Chem.291(46):24029-24035. Impact Factor: 4.125