Specialisation : Phycology
- Algal Diversity Study (morphological and molecular) and Ecological Modeling
- Algae and Environment - Phycoremediation ,CO2 sequestration,
- Algal Biotechnology Nanotechnology, Biofuel Production , Aquaculture, Mass cultivation and Technology Transfer at rural level.
- Fellow ,West Bengal Academy of Science and Technology (WAST)
- Vice President Indian Botanical Society
- Convener, Ph.D. Committee, Dept. of Botany, CU
- Member, Governing Body, Ashutosh College, CU
- Member, Governing Body, Shyama Prasad College, CU
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, DBT-IIT-PAN, on Bio-energy, GOI (IIT Bombay)
- Member of Technical expert Committee (TEC) on energy bioscience, Govt. of India, Ministry of science and Technology, Department of Biotechnology.
- Member, Scientific Advisory Committee, DBT-TERI, Centre of Excellence Project
- Member, CAS & Major Projects Monitoring Committee, UGC, New Delhi
- Received Prof. S.C. Dixit Award, from Indian Botanical Society. New Delhi, 1989.
Extramural Research Grants:
- Biochemical and molecular characterization of Cyanobacteria and Algal resources of West Bengal for development of algal repository with potent biotechnological exploitation (Co-PI). Department of Science and technology and Biotechnology, Govt. of West Bengal (2019-2022).
- Mapping Sundarbans algae for CO2 sequestration with special emphasis on brackish water wetlands. DST (Government of India) (All India Net work Program) (2013-2016).
- Production of microalgal biomass and their application in aquaculture. WBSCST (2013- 2016). 3
- Ecological modeling and phytoplankton diversity study of different ecological niches with multivariate analysis and metagenomic approach.UGC(2012-2015).
- Bio-fuel from marine micro-algae. CSIR-NMITLI- All India Net work Program (2010- 2013).
Select list of Publications:
- Mukherjee P, Gorain PC, Paul I and Pal R. 2019. Investigation on the effect of nitrate and salinity stress on the antioxidant properties of green algae with special reference to the use of processed biomass as potent fish feed ingredient. Aquaculture International. doi.org/10.1007/s10499-019-00455-6. IF- 1.455
- Gorain P C, Paul I. Bhadoria P S and Pal R. 2019. An integrated approach towards agricultural wastewater remediation with fatty acid production by two cyanobacteria in bubble column photobioreactors. Algal Research 42: 101594. IF- 3.7
- Nandi C, Bhowmick S, Gorain P C and Pal R. 2019. New and Rare Records of Cosmarium (Desmidiaceae, Zygnematales) from India. Phytomorphology 69(1&2), 25-33.
- Gorain P C, Sengupta S, Satpati G G, Paul I, Tripathi S and Pal R. 2018. Carbon sequestration in macroalgal mats of brackish-water habitats in Indian Sunderbans: Potential as renewable organic resource. Science of the Total Environment, 626: 689-702. IF-4.9
- Singha Roy A, Gorain P C, Paul I, Sengupta S, Mondal KP and Pal R. 2018. Phytoplankton nutrient dynamics and Flow Cytometry based population study of eutrophic wetland habitat from Eastern India, a Ramsar site. RSC Advances, 8, 9530 9545. IF-3.1
- Mukherjee P and Pal R. 2018. Antioxidative potentials of four green filamentous algae of Indian Sundarbans. J Algal Biomass Utln. 9 (4): 110.