"Nature nurturing" by field work at different ecological terrain - my passion gradually becomes profession for exploring the truth and beauty of Nature. ·
...brought up in a school which had introduced pheromone research in India under the leadership of renowned naturalist and scientist Prof. R.L.Brahmachary of Indian Statistical Institute and initiated my research career with a publication in Nature, 1990. Unravelling the fact of occurrence of 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline, the elusive fragrant molecule of Indian Basmati rice in the Marking Fluid (MF) of Bengal tiger for territorial demarcation and home range maintenance has been acclaimed highly in etho-chemistry research scenario across the world.
Unwinding the tale of the adaptive strategy of high altitude Eastern Himalayan mosses by volatile Oxylipin signalling molecule and the identification of 6-Methyl-5-hepten-2-one, a major compound of lemon grass oil from MF of Snow leopard of Eastern Himalaya are the recent achievements by my team.
I like to concentrate on integrative biology with interdisciplinary approach. In my research arena I believe in three Fs FOREST, FORMULATE and FIGURE OUT.
- B.Sc, Presidency College, Kolkata (1981-84).
- M.Sc, University of Calcutta (Ballygunge College of Science), 1984-86.
- Ph.D, Doctoral research at Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (Ph.D.from Univ. of Calcutta), 1995.
Select list of Publications:
- Anashuya Biswas-Raha, Souvik Mitra and Mousumi Poddar Sarkar, Ecological Impact on Fatty Acid Composition of Mosses from Two Biodiversity Hotspots of Hungary and India (2019). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India - Section B: Biological Sciences. DOI: 10.1007/s40011-019-01080-2.
- Priyankar Dey, Manas Ranjan Saha, Sumedha Roy Choudhuri, Indrani Sarkar, Biswajit Halder, Mousumi Poddar-Sarkar, Arnab Sen, and Tapas Kumar Chaudhuri (2019), Oleander Stem and Root Standardized Extracts Mitigate Acute Hyperglycaemia by Limiting Systemic Oxidative Stress Response in Diabetic Mice, Advances in Pharmacological Sciences: open access Article ID 7865359, Volume 2019 (2019) DOI: 10.1155/2019/7865359.
- Sumedha Roy Chowdhuri, Anashuya Biswas-Raha, Souvik Mitra and Mousumi Poddar Sarkar, (2018), Dicranin" in the Membrane Phospholipids of a Dicranaceae and Pottiaceae Moss Member of the Eastern Himalayan Biodiversity Hotspot, Lipids, 53(5), 539-545, DOI: 10.1002/lipd.12054; IF:1.936.
- Das D, Das Payel, Moniruzzaman M, Poddar Sarkar Mousumi, Mukherjee J and Chakraborty SB, (2018), Consequences of oxidative damage and mitochondrial dysfunction on the fatty acid profile of muscle of Indian Major Carps considering metal toxicity. Chemosphere, 207:385-396. IF: 4.427.
- Mitra S, Burger BV, Poddar-Sarkar Mousumi (2017) Comparison of headspace-oxylipin-volatilome of some Eastern Himalayan mosses extracted by sample enrichment probe and analysed by gas chromatography - mass spectrometry. Protoplasma. 254(2), pp 11151126; doi: 10.1007/s00709-016-1018-3.